The Ultimate Guide to Enjoying Fresh Shellfish in Upper Cape Cod
When it comes to seafood, there’s nothing quite like fresh shellfish from Upper Cape Cod. With miles of pristine coastline, this region is home to some of the freshest and most delicious shellfish in the world. Whether you’re a seasoned seafood lover or new to the world of shellfish, Upper Cape Cod has something to offer everyone.
In this ultimate guide, we’ll take you on a journey through the world of fresh shellfish in Upper Cape Cod. We’ll explore the different types of shellfish you can find in the region, the best places to enjoy them, and some tips for cooking and preparing them at home.
Types of Shellfish in Upper Cape Cod
Upper Cape Cod is home to a diverse range of shellfish, each with its own unique flavor and texture. Here are some of the most popular types of shellfish you can find in the region:
1. Lobster: Lobster is a quintessential New England shellfish, famous for its sweet and succulent meat. Upper Cape Cod is home to some of the best lobster in the world, with a range of sizes and prices to suit all tastes and budgets.
2. Clams: Clams are another popular shellfish in Upper Cape Cod, with a range of varieties including littlenecks, cherrystones, and quahogs. Clams are typically served steamed or fried and are often used in chowders and other seafood dishes.
3. Oysters: Oysters are a delicacy in Upper Cape Cod, known for their briny flavor and smooth texture. The region is home to a range of oyster farms, each producing oysters with their own distinct flavor profiles.
4. Scallops: Scallops are a popular shellfish in Upper Cape Cod, prized for their sweet and tender meat. They can be served raw, seared, or grilled and are often used in seafood stews and pasta dishes.
Best Places to Enjoy Fresh Shellfish in Upper Cape Cod
If you’re looking to sample some of the best fresh shellfish in Upper Cape Cod, here are some of the must-visit places:
1. The Lobster Trap: The Lobster Trap is a classic seafood shack located in Bourne, serving up some of the freshest lobster and shellfish in the region. The menu is simple but delicious, featuring lobster rolls, clam chowder, and fried seafood.
2. The Raw Bar: The Raw Bar is a popular seafood restaurant located in Mashpee, known for its fresh oysters and seafood towers. With a waterfront location and outdoor seating, it’s the perfect spot to enjoy a seafood feast on a warm summer day.
3. Fishermen’s View: Fishermen’s View is a seafood market and restaurant located in Sandwich, offering a wide range of fresh shellfish and other seafood. The restaurant features a raw bar, sushi bar, and traditional seafood dishes, as well as a stunning view of the Cape Cod Canal.
Tips for Cooking and Preparing Fresh Shellfish at Home
If you’re looking to cook and prepare fresh shellfish at home, here are some tips to get you started:
1. Keep it simple: Fresh shellfish is delicious on its own, so keep your preparations simple to let the flavor of the shellfish shine through. Steaming, grilling, and saut?ing are all great methods for cooking shellfish.
2. Use fresh ingredients: When cooking with shellfish, it’s important to use the freshest ingredients possible. Look for shellfish that is firm, with a fresh ocean smell.
3. Don’t overcook: Overcooking shellfish can lead to tough and rubbery meat. Cook shellfish just until it turns opaque and then remove it from the heat to prevent overcooking.
In conclusion, fresh shellfish from Upper Cape Cod is some of the best in the world, with a range of varieties and flavors to suit all tastes. Whether you’re enjoying it at a local seafood restaurant or cooking it up at home, keep it simple and fresh to get the most out of this delicious delicacy. Happy shucking!